Sunday, July 20, 2008

Michael Turner: A comic book great has left us

(See the Michael Turner wallpaper and sketches gallery here!)

Michael Turner, the gifted comic book artist renowned for his spectacular female characters and modern mystical/sci-fi worlds, passed away on June 27, 2008, after a brave 8-year fight against cancer. He was 37 years young. In his short career, Michael developed a powerful, rich and sensual style that inspired a whole generation of artists. Everyone should check out his strong and seductive lines on Witchblade, Fathom and various Tomb Raider/Witchblade crossovers. I personally blame him for creating something so distinctive and attractive that, for a period of time, one couldn't buy an Image book that didn't look like a poor version of his work. He was a pioneer and a winner in the long battle for creator rights and a tireless presence at comic conventions, always gracious and available to his fans, even under extreme pain. I think back to that 2006 Fan Expo in Toronto, where he signed one of his stunning posters for me. He was so upbeat, I had no clue what he was going through. Reading subsequent interviews and seeing his continuous output of covers for DC and Marvel, I thought the man had won his battle. I was stunned to hear the news. His attitude in the face of death is one lesson I will never forget. I wish him an after-life where fiction meets reality, spent in the company of his creations. Hey, Michael, if that's the case, let us know. It would take away a lot of anxiety.

No comments: